Igetc Critical Thinking Courses For Nurses

Fall 2018 Transfer Admission:
General Education

You must complete your lower-division General Education (GE) coursework by the end of spring 2018 by following one of three GE patterns:

  • GE Certification: Students transferring from a California community college can complete the CSU GE certification pattern to satisfy all lower division GE requirements.
  • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC): The IGETC is a series of courses that California community college students can use to satisfy lower division GE requirements for any CSU or UC campus.
  • SDSU General Education Pattern: This option is commonly used by students majoring in Engineering, Liberal Studies and Nursing, and all students outside of the California community college system. See the SDSU General Catalog for details.

Golden Four

Be aware that a grade of C- or higher is required in each of the following GE "Golden Four" courses:

  • Oral Communication: Basic public speaking course. Other communication courses that are certified by a California community college will be accepted.
  • Written Communication: Typically a freshman composition course that emphasizes essay writing or reading and writing concurrently.
  • Critical Thinking: Typically your second semester composition or writing course, or a course in reasoning and effective argumentative writing.
  • Mathematics: This course must be beyond intermediate algebra.

Online Resources

Use the following online systems to show how transfer course credits can be used to meet SDSU General Education and major preparation course requirements.

  • The Transfer Admission Planner (TAP) includes course equivalency information for colleges and universities throughout the United States. You can also use TAP to identify any specific grade requirements for individual courses or combination of courses. TAP is updated annually to reflect the most current SDSU General Catalog information.
  • The ASSIST website is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities.

Quick Links

On This Page:

This section provides a guide for transfer students in understanding how their coursework from another collegiate institution applies to fulfilling UCI degree requirements. Transfer students should use this information in conjunction with the Requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree. Transfer students are required to meet University, general education, school, department, and major requirements described in the Catalogue. The courses and descriptions in this Catalogue may be used by prospective transfer students as a guide for selecting courses of similar content and purpose in their own institutions. No student who has taken a course which is accepted for credit by the Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools (OARS) and which has been mutually determined with a community college as being acceptable toward completion of the UCI general education requirement shall incur any loss of credit in satisfaction of the requirement.

Transfer students are strongly advised to check with the academic counselor in their prospective major or the UCI Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools about courses that may be used to satisfy UCI requirements.

Transfer Students: Completion of the UCI General Education Requirement

The general education requirements specify the courses students must take or units they must accumulate in each area. However, each student should consider the general education recommendation for their major, as it may be more important to concentrate on completing the many prerequisites for the major that are screened for in the selection process. Students transferring to UCI must satisfy the UCI general education (GE) requirement by completing either:

  1. The current UCI GE requirement;
  2. one of the options listed in the Catalogue Rights section; or
  3. the California Community College Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC); or
  4. the California Community College Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum for STEM.

Transfer students do not need to complete the UCI GE requirement prior to matriculating to UCI. The GE requirement, which must be completed prior to graduation, may be satisfied by college-level courses appropriate to UCI offerings and may be met at any time during the undergraduate years, except in the case of the lower-division writing requirement, which must be completed within the first three quarters of residency at UCI.

NOTE: UCI operates on the quarter system. For the purpose of counting courses for the UCI GE requirement, one semester course is equivalent to one quarter course, and two semester courses are equivalent to three quarter courses.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum

California Community College transfer students may satisfy the UCI GE requirement by completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). The IGETC is a series of courses that California community college students may complete to satisfy freshman/sophomore level general education requirements before transferring to UCI. Fulfillment of the IGETC does not satisfy the UCI upper-division writing requirement.

Students who do not complete IGETC prior to transfer may be eligible for partial certification from their community college. Partial certification is defined as completing all but two (2) courses on the IGETC pattern. Warning: Students need to meet minimum UC transfer admission requirements. Therefore, partial certification that acknowledges a deficiency in Area 1 and/or Area 2 may also indicate a student does not meet minimum transfer requirements.

Please note:

  1. IGETC must be completed in total or partial IGETC certification must be completed prior to enrolling at UCI;
  2. students are responsible for requesting IGETC certification from their community college; and
  3. the IGETC certification should be submitted to the UCI Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools no later than the end of the first quarter of UCI enrollment.

Courses used to fulfill the IGETC must be completed with a grade of C or better. (Courses may also be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis provided Pass is equal to a letter grade of C or better.)

Lists of specific approved courses which may be taken in fulfillment of the IGETC are available from California Community Colleges and at the ASSIST website.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum

Area 1. English Communication: One course in English composition and one course in critical thinking/English composition.

Area 2. Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning: One course in mathematics or mathematical statistics which has a prerequisite of intermediate algebra.

Area 3. Arts and Humanities:  Three courses with at least one from the arts and one from the humanities.

Area 4. Social and Behavioral Sciences: Three courses from at least two different disciplines, or an interdisciplinary sequence.

Area 5. Physical and Biological Sciences:  One physical science course and one biological science course, at least one of which includes a laboratory.

Area 6. Language Other Than English: Proficiency equivalent to two years of high school courses in the same language.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum for STEM

IGETC for STEM is a series of courses that California community college students may complete to satisfy the lower-division GE requirements before transfer to UCI. IGETC for STEM is a separate IGETC track available for students planning to major in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. UC will accept IGETC for STEM only if:

  • The earned associate degree for transfer (ADT) is at a California community college that offers IGETC for STEM as an option for those degrees AND
  • the UC major program or college accepts partial IGETC certification.

Note: IGETC and IGETC for STEM are not an admission requirement. Completing it does not guarantee admission to UCI.

Transferability of Credit

The University of California awards unit credit for college courses completed at United States regionally accredited colleges and universities; or at a university recognized by the Ministry of Education (or higher-education authority/appropriate government agency) in another country that offers university-level academic degree program courses comparable to a U.S. associate's or bachelor's degree. To be accepted for credit, the courses must be comparable to those offered at the University. All courses that meet the criteria are used in determining eligibility for admission.The transferability of course work taken at other institutions for both newly admitted transfer students and for current UCI students who attend other institutions during summer sessions is determined by the Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools.

Although the Office of Admissions and Relations with schools may award unit or subject credit for courses completed at another institution, the courses may not necessarily apply to specific UCI degree requirements (i.e., general education or major requirements). Contact a College, school or department advisor regarding specific credit applications and limitations. Also, be aware of the residence requirements, UCI Requirements section,  which are specific to the College or School.

Students must have the other institution send transcripts directly to UCI Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools, 260 Aldrich Hall, Irvine, CA 92697-1075.

Duplicate Credit is Prohibited. Students may not receive unit credit or earn grade points for college courses in which the content duplicates material of a previously completed course or examination for which credit has already been granted, with the exception of the repeat of deficient (C-/D/F) course grades.Students should be advised that college courses taken before or while attending UC may duplicate AP, IB and/or A-Level examinations. Additionally, exams may duplicate each other (for example AP and IB in the same subject area). If a student does duplicate an exam of the same subject content and/or a college course, we will award credit only once. Exceptions related to Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate credit and repeat of deficient grades can be found in their respective sections.

Limitations on Transfer Credit

Students will be granted up to 70 semester/105 quarter units of credit for lower-division coursework completed at any institution or combination of institutions. For units beyond the maximum, subject credit for appropriate coursework taken in excess of this unit limitation will be granted and may be used to satisfy requirements.

Please note:

1. Units earned through Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and/or A-Level examinations are not included in the limitation and do not put applicants at risk of being denied admission.

2. Units earned at any University of California campus (summer, extension, cross/concurrent, and regular academic year enrollment) are not included in the limitation, but are added to the maximum transfer credit allowed. Excessive units may put applicants at risk of being denied admission.

In addition, there is a limit to the number of units for which UC grants credit in the following areas:

  • English as a Second Language courses: a maximum of 8 semester (12 quarter) units
  • Physical education activity courses: a maximum of 4 semester (6 quarter) units
UCI Division of Continuing Education

UCI Division of Continuing Education courses prefixed by XB, XD, XI, XR, XSB, and XSD are granted unit credit on the same basis as courses taken in residence at any accredited collegiate institution.

Students intending to transfer UCI Division of Continuing Education course credit for a degree at another college or university should verify acceptance of the course with that institution. Resident students of the University of California must obtain the consent of the dean of their school or college prior to enrolling for credit in an UCI Division of Continuing Education course. UCI Division of Continuing Education courses are not accepted as part of the residence requirements of the University. Grades earned at UCI Division of Continuing Education may, though not in all instances, be calculated as part of the University GPA.

Note: Decisions regarding the acceptability of extension courses taken in institutions other than the University of California rest with the UCI Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools. Decisions regarding the applicability of such courses toward specific degrees and majors rest with the student’s academic dean.

Important Resources for California Community College Students

Students anticipating transfer to UCI from a California Community College are urged to consult with their community college counselors. The counselors, with the aid of that college’s UC Transfer Course Agreement (UCTCA), can advise students about California Community College courses and units which will transfer to the University. In addition, staff in the UCI Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools can advise students about the transferability of courses. The ASSIST site provides information regarding:

  • University of California Transfer Course Agreements.
  • Selected Major Preparation Articulation Agreements for all California community colleges.
    • The agreements list all lower division course requirements for select majors at UCI and the courses students can complete at their community colleges that satisfy these requirements.
  • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) course list.
    • IGETC enables students at California community colleges to complete UCI General Education requirements before transfer.

0 thoughts on “Igetc Critical Thinking Courses For Nurses

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *